Norfolk Southern Railway
Mobile, AL – Redesign of South Yard
Norfolk Southern Railway Company identified a need to expand South Yard at Mobile, AL, a project with significant complicating factors:
- This expansion included designing the overall track layout and improving yard drainage.
- Construction required removing existing yard tracks, extending existing yard tracks, constructing new yard tracks.
- The existing yard drainage was poor; therefore, drainage improvements for the entire yard were incorporated into the project design.
- The new yard layout also included upgraded lighting throughout the yard as well as the design of new service and access roads.
- The existing ADM unloading facility and rail access had to be preserved as a part of the redesign.
- The project also involved relocation of an existing C&S microwave communications tower.
This project was “fast tracked” and a timely design and permitting process was critical. It was of the utmost importance to be proactive in developing the project schedule and not only anticipating but also handling in advance key choke points in this process including the necessary permits and property acquisitions. As part of the design, a detailed timeline including permitting was required showing the proposed process and milestones.
Crouch Engineering performed survey, track, grading, and drainage design, permitting, erosion control plans, coordination with the City of Mobile and ADEM, bid phase, and construction staking for the redesign and successful reconstruction of South Yard.