Crouch Engineering manages the construction process from bid development and contractor prequalification to project site visits and oversight to creation and backup of project documentation.
Construction Project Management
Crouch Engineering provides construction management services as a key component for successful projects. Crouch Engineering, P.C. has provided savings to many project owners by providing project oversight, quality control and quality assurance to ensure continuity between the design and actual construction. Our construction management services typically include:
- Contractor prequalification
- Competitve bidding
- Set up and Conduct Pre-Bid Meetings
- Assist the client or conduct the Bid Process, Bid Opening, and Tabulation
- Evaluate contractor bids and recommend bid awards
- Review contractor bonding, licenses and insurance
- Provide an on site Project Manager for larger projects
- Track and record materials delivered to the site
- Track the amount of work performed based on unit items contained within the bid
- Maintain daily logs to detail all work and construction performed
- Documentation, observation and quality control / quality assurance of all rail components, steel components and concrete
- Observation and quality control of track and bridge construction
- Ensure the overall quality of the work being performed and ensure the project runs smoothly on behalf of the Owner
- Project close-out and documentation
Construction Project Management Projects by Crouch Engineering
Norfolk Southern Railway / Amtrak Passenger Project
The Crouch Engineering design team worked closely with Norfolk Southern, the Virginia DRPT, Amtrak, CSX, local agencies, utilities, and regulators to plan, survey, design, permit, bid, manage, and stake out the following projects, which were a part of the overall Norfolk to Petersburg, VA Amtrak project:
- New Amtrak Station Platform and Platform Track; Harbor Park, Norfolk, VA Survey, design, utilities, permitting, bid phase, and staking - 2,000 TF platform track, main line realignment, I-95 Crash Walls, a new 800’ passenger station platform, and platform track.
St. Julian Amtrak Servicing Facility and New Wye Tracks - Norfolk, VA – Planning, survey, design, utilities, permitting, bid phase, and staking wye tracks (8,600 TF), main line realignment, & new Amtrak passenger train servicing facilities and wye to be used for Amtrak passenger trains to turn around
- NSR - CSXT Connection Track – Survey, design, permitting, utilities, bid phase, and staking for a 7,000 TF connection track and CSXT double track.
- New Double Mainline and Auto Ramp Bypass, Petersburg, VA – survey, design, permitting, bid phase, and staking for a new 6,200 TF mainline bypass
- Siding Extension & Highway Realignment, Petersburg, VA – survey, design of track, bridge overpass, and highway realignment, utilities, permitting, bid phase, project management., and construction staking for the 0.5 mi Johnson Rd. Realignment and railroad bridge overpass widening.
- Redesign of Portlock Yard, Chesapeake, VA – planning, survey, design, utilities, permitting, bid phase, and staking for additional storage tracks, a new switching lead, and redesign of other yard tracks to allow passenger trains to move through the yard without interference from yard switching operations.
Redesign of the Norfolk Southern Railroad South Yard
Crouch Engineering performed survey, track, grading, and drainage design, permitting, erosion control plans, coordination with the City of Mobile and ADEM, bid phase, and construction staking for the redesign of South Yard, to increase railcar storage capacity. The existing ADM unloading facility and rail access had to be preserved. Existing yard drainage was poor - drainage improvements were designed for the entire yard. The project also involved relocation of an existing C&S microwave communications tower.
Citrus Rail Project – New 10 Mile Railroad Main Line
Crouch Engineering performed track and roadbed design, grade crossing design, culvert design, bid phase, and construction project management and construction phase engineering for a new, greenfield ten-mile long main line, a siding for a new cane elevator loadout, a new storage yard and multiple loading tracks for the citrus plant. The project was completed on time and under budget by 30%, allowing for the replacement of an additional nine miles of 85 AS rail with new 136 RE CWR and OTM.
Noah Reid Road Retaining Wall / Slope Stabilization Project
Crouch Engineering worked with Hamilton County and the Hamilton County Railroad Authority (HCRA) to provide planning, surveying, geotechnical study, investigation, evaluation and design and construction observation services for the design of a concrete retaining wall east of Noah Reid Road, along the Enterprise South Rail Line. The railroad cut slope had exhibited signs of unraveling and imminent failure. With homes located upslope of the railroad, a quick design and construction project was required.
Crouch designed a steel reinforced concrete retaining wall that mitigated the slope failure and potential damage to adjacent homes, while protecting the integrity of the railroad track and roadbed.